Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Days 6 and 7

Kaityn, me, Lauren and one of the Overlooks

The ruins at the Pools of Bethesda

Day 7, aka Monday, was a field trip day. We had to be at the buses at 7:10 ready to go. So we got up early and ate breakfast. Oh ps we also got my final roommate last night, so now it is really hard to get ready in the morning with all four of us. But I go up a few minutes before them so that we wouldn't all be trying to get ready at the same time. I know, I know. I'm too kind. On the buses we are always split by our Old testament classes, so we will always be in the same groups. And I like mine. The field trip was our overlook field trip. The two buses started on opposite sides of the city, so there weren't too many of us. And we have our nice little fanny pack headsets so that we can all hear what our professor is saying at all times, which includes hearing him breath. Our first stop was at the Augusta Victoria Tower, one of the tallest structures around us. We got to hike up something like two hundred and thirty stairs to the top where we got a great view of the Old City and....After our exhausting walk back down the stairs we headed to the seven arches overlook, the Haas promenade overlook, and a few others that I cannot remember right now. Basically they all were just overlooks, different angles of the city, different view points. It was fun having our Professor tell us all about the areas around us. Lauren and I also happen to have on the exact same pants today, so we now call ourselves twinsies because we have so much in common.  My bus was back first at 12, we were told lunch-pizza-was at 1. So we all went down to our rooms. Then at 12:50, my roommate Melissa came to the room and asked why my two roommates and I weren't at lunch? Like what the heck. Apparently they let the second bus eat right when they got back, while we were all starving in our rooms. So we ran up, because Melissa said that there wasn't much pizza left. But no worries we got some. But still it was lame. After lunch we had classes. Old testament and Near eastern Studies, three long hours of boredom. It was our first official day of classes. I have never had so much homework in my life. For each class, which I have five of, we have to read around fifty pages of material a night! It is ridiculous. After class I headed out with a few kids to the Pool of Bethesda. It was probably one of my favorite things that I have done here so far. We sang a couple songs in the church and I hate singing. But it sounded so amazing, the acoustics or whatever it is called made the singing sound so cool. Also it was fun exploring the ruins, because they went pretty far down from street level. But one of the best parts was the guy that worked there, Michelle. From France he was a great old man and was very interesting to talk to. So ya for pretty much the rest of the night I tried to get some reading done in the Library. But I must admit that my large packet on Judaism didn't quite hold my attention.
Day 7
Today was pretty lame. I got up at 6:30 and got ready for the day. I skipped breakfast because I had a lot of reading that I need to get done before classes. So at 8 I had Old Testament. Which went right over my head, my professor is just too educated for me to even understand what he is trying to tell me. So the writing assignment he gave us to have done for tomorrow about todays class is pretty much the worst paper I have ever written. So after that great class I headed over to Judaism for the next two hours. Our professor is from New York but actually lives here now. He was nice, but he also gave us two huge books that we need to read. And he couldn't quite hold my attention either. Then we had yet another safety orientation meeting for another fun hour. And then the most exciting part of my day, linen exchange. Joy. I got to get new sheets and towels. Then we had lunch in the Oasis, not a good day for them in my opinion. Oh guess what was after lunch? Well everyone who is not taking Hebrew headed down to the Old City. But am I taking Hebrew? Yep. So I got to go to class again. It was actually a lot of fun, despite the fact that I was bitter about being in the Center and not the Old City. In Hebrew we learned the first two letters of the Alphabet and learned how to speak the language. It is actually a very simple language, in comparison with our own. Don't worry I only had one more class after that, yay. It was my Israel Studies class, which I think will actually be pretty easy. Mainly because we only get graded on two things, the midterm and the final. Which are both take home essays, which I feel like I will be able to handle. Then I had dinner and have pretty much been doing nothing all night, studying I guess. But that is not very fun. Aren't you just so glad you read about my great Israel adventure for the day?

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed, waking up soooo early and before the others.

    ReplyDelete