Monday, October 17, 2011

Day 48


Ruins of the city w/ the current city in the background


Desiree headed down in the tunnel

Lauren



The ceiling got really high right here

Crushing some olives with Desiree, Lizzy, and Wendy

Putting the olive gunk in the baskets

One of the olive press/squishing machines
Monday. The 17th of October.
This morning was another early morning, we had to be out the door by 7:20. I slept terribly the night before, because for some really odd reason my knee was hurting. I think I just slept on it weird when I was on the bus. Hopefully it feels better soon. Even better I have a sore throat, again. I really don’t want to get sick again. We left on foot for this field trip to The City of David, which is just on the outskirts of the current Old City. It was where Jerusalem was during the rule of King David, whom we are reading about in OT and ANE. We went to a lookout point, were David’s downward spiral began when he spotted Bathsheba. We watched this intro video to the site while we were there. It was surprisingly fun; it was in 3D and was pretty interesting. I was super tired today and didn’t feel like socializing much and at one point my teacher was joking with me that I was being so loud that his ears hurt. We then looked at some possible tombs for David and Solomon. Then came the funnest part. We headed underground to Hezekiah’s Tunnel. It was built by Hezekiah to bring spring water to the pool of Siloam. It is the longest tunnel dug without any shafts besides the exit and entrance. It is pitch black and pretty narrow. Right when we got in the water was up to our thighs and freezing. But it only went to our calf’s the rest of the time. It was a blast, we all had our flashlights/headlamps. At one point we had everyone turn them off and went through in the dark. There was also a lot of crouching so we didn't hit our heads, which I still managed to do at least three times. At the end we visited the pool of Siloam real quick, most of it hasn’t been excavated yet because of land disputes. We then hiked through an empty tunnel, which was used as a sewer system for the City of David. We then had to wait a little while for vans to come pick us up and take us home. We went straight to lunch and then I took a real quick nap. We then got to process the olives we picked last week. We pulled them out of our giant bin and put them in our grinder. Basically a circular rock that we pushed around until the olives were mush. Then we filled these little baskets with the mush and further proceeded to squash the baskets until the oil came out. It was quite the process for just a little bit of oil. I guess it was a fun experience, now I can say that I have made olive oil. After all that excitement I did my laundry/worked on this dang blog. After dinner we had HE, we practiced a dance that were going to do as a flash mob in all of our classes. It should be fun, except it is a lameo EFY dance that were doing. Oh wells. So yep that’s it. Seeeee ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment